The National Stud was founded in 1916 when Lord Wavertree (also known as Colonel William Hall Walker) donated his stud farm and bloodstock to the British Government.
The farm is located on the edge of the Curragh, Ireland and was originally called the Tully Stud. The original aim of the institution was to spear head a breeding programme to supply the British Government with high quality light weight cavalry horses for use in war campaigns around the world.
The technological advances in warfare expended the need for military horses but the Government retained the site and breeding horses to concentrate instead in the improvement of the National Thoroughbred breed.
Throughout the history of the Stud several high profile horses have been bred. An early star came in the form of BLANDFORD (foaled in 1919) who went on to become one of the most successful sires of the 1920’s producing a total of 11 Classic winners including 4 Derby winners. Most famous was SUN CHARIOT; foaled in 1939 and this talented filly won the Triple Crown of 1,000gns, The Oaks and the St Leger in 1942. She is immortalised with a race bearing her name which is run on Newmarket’s Rowley Mile Racecourse each year.
During the 1940’s the newly formed Republic of Ireland purchased the Stud from the British Government and founded the Irish National Stud. The National Stud now attracts huge numbers of bloodstock clients and tourist visitors from around the world as well as providing training courses.
For further details about visiting the National Stud and tour times, contact
Phone: 01638 666789